Welcome to the home for Second Chance Heart Transplant Support Group, Inc. (that’s where the site name: “SCHTSGI” comes from, using the first letter of each word in that corporate name…)
We are a local heart transplant support group of heart transplant recipients in the general area of the region known as the Delaware Valley. While our 800+ members have spread far and wide, most come from the Philadelphia centered area that includes Delaware, Southern New Jersey, and Eastern Pennsylvania. Anticipating your question, yes, you have to have had a heart transplant – or be married to one who has – to become a member, so there really are that many recipients in this local area, and oh so many more! That large number is mainly due to the fact that there are so many heart transplant programs in this area – eight if you count CHOP, Hershey and DuPont (in DE).
Read more about our organization in the ABOUT page on this site, both our long history (dating back to the mid 1980′s, the “dawn” of today’s successful heart transplant surgical process ) and our mission of support and financial aid to member patients in need. To date here in 2013, Second Chance has given out over $640,000 in patient grants over those years.
So read all about us here, and consider joining to add your own support to this very unique group who truly are giving from their hearts and are “heart gifted” owing their lives to a donor family’s gift and the modern miracle of heart transplantation in the hands of amazing medical professionals in those many centers.
Click here for 2013 Celebration of Life video of the event held May 5th at Cottage Green, Philadelphia
Click here for 2013 DASH Team Hahnemann photo album
Click here for photos of the 2013 Celebration of Life event taken by Jim Bullard
New additions to check out on our web site:
Sad news to offer:
Second Chance chairman, Dick Harbourt, passed away Wednesday, February 26th, quietly with his family at home.
(for details click here –> Harbourt_Richard_A_Obituary)
Visitation will be held on Saturday, March 8, 2014 from 1 to 3pm with Memorial services following at 3pm at Saul Colonial Home, 3795 Nottingham Way, Hamilton Square, NJ.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Richard’s memory to Second Chance, 23 Independence Court, Piscataway, NJ 08854 (http://www.saulfuneralhomes.com)
Dick’s wife, Marion Harbourt, and family’s address is: 182 Conover Road, West Windsor, NJ 08550
- HUP Second Chance chapter Feb 2014 presentation: Dr. Emily Blumberg on “Infectious Disease and Heart Transplant Patients” (YouTube video – click to view)
- Celebration 2014 Reservation Form and Flyer
- Celebration 2014 Ad & Raffle Prize request letter
- Next General Board meeting: Apr 28th 6:30pm Gift of Life Donor Program offices – please RSVP to Jim Bullard at firstname.lastname@example.org or 732-463-3927
- Second Chance fund raiser results: Congratulations to Temple staff member, EMAN HAMAD, winner of that $1,500 Liberty Travel voucher – thanks to everyone who helped make this a big successful fund raiser, especially the Harbourt family members who sold so many tickets.
- National Huffingtonpost heart transplant story features our own Dick Harbourt and Second Chance
- 2012 Hahnemann Chapter Holiday Party photos now available
- Second Chance featured in full page Philly News Heart Health section article Feb 21, 2013
- 2012 Honor Roll of donors for the annual Specail Appeals for Patient Grant support is now posted
- 2012 Ruth Miller Memorial picnic photos added (see them under picnic event link)
- Presentation slides from Dr. Ralph Petrucci’s Hahnemann Chapter May 8th talk titled: “Behavioral Patterns of Transplant Recipients” <– click on title to download the slides
- Check out new photo albums from the DASH, Caregiver Party and Celebration of Life Dinner under PHOTOS
- Our own LaVerne Clark makes great appearance on CBS3 Philly Talk show (<– click to view interview video)
- Voting results: 2012 Budget and By-Law changes have been approved:Approved 2012 Budget(<- click to download PDF file)
- By-law changes with explanation (<- click to download PDF file)
- See the 3-19-12 By-law PDF document available for downloading on the By-laws page in the right column
- Help raise money for Second Chance by using eScript for your on-line shopping, same prices but Second Chance gets a donation with each purchase – just click here –>